Maybe you are thinking, what’s so hard, I just dump the data out of system 1 and insert it into system 2, maybe, maybe not.
How long will it take to migrate your data from one or more systems to another system?
It really depends on a few factors:
- How easy is it to export data from the source system(s)?
- How easily can data be imported into the destination system(s)?
- The volume of data.
- The number of objects and fields involved.
- Do you need to transform the data before importing into the new system? and if so, how complex is the transformation?
- Are their data dependencies, ie object 1 must be created before uploading object 2?
- Do you need a data cleansing exercise to remove/fix bad data and merge duplicates?
- If you need to clean the data, should it be loaded into an intermediary data store to make that process easier?
The quality of your data is a really important factor in how long the whole process will take.